Last week in my homily, I mentioned that one of my priorities is discipleship formation, and I used a baseball diamond as a model for understanding the stages of forming disciples of Jesus. I cannot take the credit for coming up with the model; actually a group called Evangelical Catholic developed it as a model for understanding the process. I just think it works really well.
It can be difficult to try to visualize a model just from someone talking to you about it, so hopeful this image will come out OK in the bulletin. I hope to get it printed and maybe even framed and hung in the back of both churches so that we can regularly look at it and ask, “Where am I on this diamond?” Also, I am going to be asking the various ministries and apostolates that we already have here at Resurrection Parish to think about what they do, and how it fits into this process. It will help us access whether we need to develop more resources for Evangelizing, Establishing, Equipping, and/or Engaging here. I am sure that we have ministries and apostolates that touch on all of them, but perhaps we need more in one area or another. Again, the idea is to bless and grow what we already have, and plant seeds where we need a bit more.
Take some time to look at the model this week. Over the next few weeks I am going to use this column to say a bit more on each aspect.
- A look at world’s 50 most anti-Christian countries January 15, 2018There are more than 215 million persecuted Christians worldwide according to the 2018 World Watch List, Open Doors USA's annual ranking of the 50 worst countries for violence and persecution against Christians.
- Pro-life bill would eliminate vast majority of legal abortions in Poland January 15, 2018Lawmakers in Poland proposed pro-life legislation last week that would outlaw abortions performed because of a congenital disorder or deformity in the unborn child.
- Vatican designates northern Virginia church as a basilica January 15, 2018The Vatican has designated a historic Catholic church in northern Virginia as a basilica.
- The nuns who witnessed the life and death of Martin Luther King January 15, 2018This Martin Luther King Jr. Day will be the first without Sister Mary Antona Ebo, the only black Catholic nun who marched with the civil rights leader in Selma, Alabama, in 1965.
- Sinn Fein lawmaker quits after video which allegedly mocks Troubles victims January 15, 2018An Irish nationalist lawmaker has resigned from Britain's Parliament after sparking outrage by appearing to mock a massacre carried out during Northern Ireland's decades of violence.
- A look at world’s 50 most anti-Christian countries January 15, 2018